Monday, December 13, 2010

10 of '10

So, I gave up on those 30 blogs. Oh well, the last two topics weren't anything special anyway.

Every year I blog about my favorite albums of the year. You know, just like Rolling Stone.
It's something I really enjoy, and i have a really great time doing it, so I'm not going to stop. Not even if you couldn't care less about the music I'm listening to.
Well... Here's the 2010 list:



1. Princess Dinosaur- A Goldfish and His Friends

I love this album... Well I guess, actually, it's an EP. Only 8
tracks. But those eight tracks are awesome. I been anticipating
this for a very long time. The demos for this albums were included
in my 2009 list.
I guess it's a little ironic that this album has the worst album art of
the year.

Get this album if you like Gatsbys American Dream.

2. Make Do and Mend- End Measured Mile

This is another album that I have been anticipating for
a very long time. And it's great. Everything I hoped it
would be. There are a couple rough tracks near toward
the center of the album, but the really great songs make
up for the not so great ones.

Get this album if you like Hot Water Music and great lyrics


3. Drew Danburry- Goodnight Dannii(&Grad School Ap)

Drew Danburry has probably been my favorite singer/songwriter
for the past two years or so. This album is nothing less than what I
would expect for him. I include Grad School Application with this
because it never got an official release, and it I wanted to, I could
have given drew 4 out of the 10 spots on the list, but I wanted to
be fair.

Get this if you like warm-hearted, intelligent, raw folk music.


4. Steel Train- Self-titled

I like Steel Train a lot. This album wasn't quite as good as their
previous full length, but it was still great. Very fun to listen to,
as always, and full of tracks that you just need to see performed
live. The band exhibits personality and tradition through these
tracks, and the songs never get old because of that.

Get this if you like guitar skills, rock and roll, and honest music.


5. I Can Make a Mess- The World We Know

I had very high expectations for this. Probably too high. This is
why I felt kind of let down by these songs. The previous I Can
Make a Mess Like Nobodys Business album (released in 05, I
believe), is one of my favorite albums, but this one has some
very uninteresting songs. That being said, it is easily the best thing
Ace Enders has released since 2005.

Get this if you like Ace Enders. The Early November, etc.


6. Touche Amore/La Dispute-Searching.../The Worth...

Yeah, this CD only has four tracks on it. But those four tracks are
really good! I just got into both of these bands at the beginning of
this year, and I'm pretty happy I did. It's a genre of music that I
don't go too deep into, but with bands like Touche Amore and La
Dispute, it's hard to not feel a connection to this style of
performance.


Get this if you like Post Hardcore.

7. Arcade Fire- The Suburbs

I think it's kind of hard to not like this album. Arcade Fire has
matured so much since Neon Bible was released, and this proves
it. The songs are catchy, meaningful, and fun. If you've never
listened to Arcade Fire, what are you waiting for? This would be
a good album to start with.


Get this if you like... Arcade Fire?


8. Trophy Scars- Darkness, Oh Hell

Every time Trophy Scars releases something, it blows me away.
I know I said this after Bad Luck was released, but this is the
best thing this band has ever released. The music has progressed,
the vocals have improved. It's great. I'm excited to listen to this
album more.



Get this if you like Post Hardcore, and can tolerate Satanic lyrics.

9. The Gay Blades- Savages

This is another album I've been waiting very patiently for, and I
love it! The full, rock and roll sound that this two-man band
produces knocks me back a few steps. This is fun to listen to, and
even more fun to hear live. The Gay Blades are one of those bands
that need to be seen live to be fully appreciated. Their stage antics
are great, and the music sounds better than when it's recorded.


Get this if you like rock, or the aforementioned Steel Train album.

10. Apache, The- Self-titled

Drew Danburry is a part of Apache, The, but Apache, The is
definitely NOT Drew Danburry. This music is darker, and more
raw electric rock. The lyrics are as good as anything you'd expect
from Drew, and the music is not what you'd expect. But, I love it
anyway!



Get this if you like Drew Danburry being a jerk or punk rock.


Honorable Mentions: Band of Horses, Infinite Arms; Bradley Hathaway, A Thousand Angry Panthers; Foxy Shazam, Self-titled; Frightened Rabbit, The Winter of Mixed Drinks; Pavement, Quarantine the Past: Best of Pavement; Places and Numbers, Waking the Dead; Portugal. the Man, American Ghetto; Punchline, Delightfully Pleased; Steel Train, Terrible Thrills Vol. 1; The Tallest Man on Earth, The Wild Hunt; USS Leland, Remembering Rutherford Garry; Vampire Weekend, Contra.

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome! I love reading what you have to say about the bands...

    ReplyDelete