Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 4 (Posted on Day 5)- Oooooooookay…

I have a lot of habit. I suppose I even have some habits that would be considered “bad habits.” But I’m completely content with all these little antics. Behaviors like biting my nails don’t bother me at all. In fact, I MUCH prefer biting my nails over using finger nail clippers. I hate the sound, and I hate the feeling of getting my finger nails clipped. I don’t know why.

“Day 4-A habit that you wish you didn't have”

I’m going to stretch this post topic a bit. Rather than dealing with a habit I don’t like, I’m going to talk about something I do that I really should be able to control. I guess maybe that is a habit. Maybe not.

In a lot of situations, I wish I could control the tone of my voice better. With a lot of what I say, the way I say it means a lot more than the words that are actually said.

I’m sarcastic. I’m hilarious. I’m hilarious because of my sarcasm. But a lot of times, I’ll use my sarcastic tone when saying something serious, and this has caused a lot of tension in some conversations. My tone makes me sound like I’m disregarding the meaning, when really, I’m just saying a word or sentence in a way that it shouldn’t be said.

The best example I can think of to illustrate the importance of voice tone is the word, “okay.”

“Oooooookay…” said Jessica Grimaud (This means you just said something awkward, and she feels embarrassed for you).

“Oh, okay.” said Michael House (He says this quickly. It means you’re being sarcastic or joking, and he’s writing it off as just that).

“Okayyy” said Logan Meyers (This means you just asked me to do something, and I made it sound like I complied with your request, but I’m not really going to do a thing).

Important stuff.

Well, I’m off to my first day of work at my new job. I’ll try my best to control my tone. But, I can guarantee that more than half my conversations will be at least moderately sarcastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment